Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Colored Eggs






Do you remember playing a game as a child called colored eggs?  I remember playing it on the 1st grade steps of Mesa Union School every day at lunch time.  If you have small children it's a really fun game for them to try.  Here's how I remember it being played.  You need a "wolf," a "mother/father egg," and the rest are "colored eggs." So you need about 5 people to play, but the more the merrier.  The wolf leaves the area so the mother/father egg can ask all the other eggs what color they want to be.  Once the mother/father egg finds out the colors of the eggs, they call the wolf.  When the wolf comes back, the mother/father egg is turned around, facing the eggs, his or her back to the wolf and the wolf knocks on her/his back (like a door) and the dialog begins. 
Wolf: Knock Knock!
Mother/Father Egg:  Who's there?
Wolf: The big bad wolf
Mother/Father Egg: What do you want?
Wolf: Colored eggs.
Mother/Father Wolf: What color?
Then the wolf starts picking colors.  When one of the "eggs" is picked, the egg gets a 3 second head start to run around a designated area (Like a tree, bush, etc.).  Even if the egg gets tagged, the game continues until all the "eggs" have been chosen.  The last egg to be tagged of the group becomes the wolf, the wolf of that round becomes the mother/father egg and the mother/father egg becomes one of the eggs.  
Just writing the description of this game brings back so many fond memories of childhood.  I also loved coloring eggs for Easter.  I thought the whole process was just magical.
As Easter quickly approaches (which is early this year, March 23rd) I am always reminded of the fun I had coloring eggs.  So for fun, I came up with my adult version of colored eggs.  I love vintage egg plates, and thought it would be fun to "color" those eggs too.  So here is what I came up with.  I also found this wonderful photo of a sweet little girl holding her beloved bunny.  These charms are new, and now available on my website.  Enjoy, and hope you have fun coloring your own eggs!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin